Louis Xian

Deja Vu

Topic 2

After reading Iniesto’s article, I realized that distributed and open learning is spreading at an unpredictable rate, especially when we are in the environment of the COVID-19 pandemic. Due to the suddenness and uncertainty of health incidents, the influence of Distributed and Opent learning model becomes more sustainable.

When I first came into contact with distributed and open learning, I was wondering about this model. For a long time, the education model we have received has been directed by instructors offline. Improve personal academic ability by learning atmosphere and face-to-face communication. This kind of environment makes the students feel very familiar, there is no sense of strangeness, it will be easier to adapt, and the learning experience will be more comfortable. Because most of the online learning environment is based on computers, tablets, and mobile phones. There is a lack of face-to-face communication, and it is difficult to truly observe the students’ class status. Face-to-face observation and communication in class are very important in daily teaching in many situations. This requires lecturers to have sufficient language and behavior control to stablize the classroom atmosphere. This week’s article reading allowed me to dispel these worries and provided me with ideas on how to apply it at work.

Major’s article gave me in-depth exposure to the core of distributed and open learning, which is taking students as the essential. We are never truly “teaching naked”. Major, C. H. (2015). He believes that technological tools usually provide context for the human experience. Online education is imperative. Through a few examples in the article, it can be seen that distributed learning brings out the advantages of network technology. For example, simplifying the key and difficult points, controlling the depth of the explanation, and controlling the speed, and tone of speech, etc. These details allow the information to be transformed into knowledge are improved efficiently.

Jordan, K. and Weller, M. mentioned that OEP is a well-developed open digital identity. Jordan, K. & Weller, M. (2017). This reminds me as a teacher in the future, I ought to provide each student with independent, individual and practical advice. Open learning can share teaching resources with the society. One of the advantages of open learning is that the professional setting is flexible, which is more suitable for the needs of talents from all in the society. The establishment of professional courses in traditional schools emphasizes theory, and there is a certain gap with the practical needs of consumers; while opening education is based on the development status, timely launches popular majors, and truly meets the demands of people .

Reference

Iniesto, Paco. “Oer in Pandemic Times: Emergency, Openness and Agency: Go-Gn.” GO, 11 May 2021, go-gn.net/research/oer-in-pandemic-times/.

Jordan, K. & Weller, M. (2017) Openness and Education: A beginners’ guide. Global OER Graduate Network.

Major, Clair Howell. (2015). Teaching Online – A Guide to Theory, Research, and Practice. Johns Hopkins University Press. Retrieved from http://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/uvic/detail.action?docID=3318874 (pp. 76-108)